Request Your North Lake Tahoe Guide
Top 5 Winter Activities in North Lake Tahoe On & Off the Slopes
North Lake Tahoe Winter Packing ListPacking for a vacation to an area youâve never visited before can be tricky, especially when youâre planning a trip to California. This is because packing lists to our state for trips during the winter months can vary greatly depending on which region youâre visiting. Your Northern California packing list should include the following items:
- Reusable water bottle
- Multiple layers
- Winter coat
- Snow boots
1. Downhill Skiing and SnowboardingWhen you think of winter in North Lake Tahoe, skiing is one of the first activities that come to mind. Check out some of the best ski resorts in the North Lake Tahoe area:
- Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are two of the most popular, and for a good reason. They offer long, steep runs as well as moderate terrain thatâs more accessible for beginners. Itâs an excellent resort if youâre traveling with a group of people of all skill types. This mountain resort also offers an Olympic Ice Pavilion Rink.
- Homewood Mountain Resort is better suited for new skiers, with smoother runs and gorgeous views.
- Mt. Rose has the highest elevation of all the resorts in the North Lake Tahoe area. They have more than 60 trails and three terrain parks.
- Northstar is another excellent family-friendly resort. With 3,1000 skiable acres of well-maintained land, youâll have no trouble finding the perfect trail or slope for your day of fun. Northstar Resort also has an ice-skating rink and trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Itâs the ideal place for family activities in North Lake Tahoe!
2. SnowmobilingFeel the rush of zooming through the snow! Consider renting a snowmobile to explore the backcountry of North Lake Tahoe with the following tour companies:
- Coldstream Adventures is an excellent option for beginners. They offer two-hour tours of beautiful Truckee terrain. If youâre celebrating a special occasion, consider booking one of their private adventures!
- Eagle Ridge Snowmobile Outfitters offers two to four-hour tours that include time on their trails as well as their âœplay areas,â� which allow riders to go off-trail and experiment. You can also book a two-day tour, which is the ultimate snowmobile excursion!
3. Cross-Country SkiingCross-country skiing is an excellent option for hikers looking for the perfect winter activity. Itâs easy to learn, and since youâre able to set your own pace, youâll get to choose between a leisurely stroll or a nice day of exercise. Below are some of our favorite spots for cross-country skiing:
- Tahoe City Cross Country is an excellent choice. They have 21 trails that offer stunning views of Lake Tahoe, as well as eight kilometers of dog-friendly trails! Add to that their friendly staff and their warming huts with hot chocolate and tea available, and itâs no wonder why Tahoe City Cross Country is a local favorite.
- Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Center is another great option with the accolades to prove it! It has been voted the best cross-country ski center in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee by the Sierra Sun and one of the top three Cross Country Ski Resorts by USA Today. They feature over 100 kilometers of ski and snowshoe trails which are regularly maintained by their state-of-the-art grooming machines.
- Royal Gorge has some of the most beautiful views in the region. They offer a wide range of skiing experiences, from traditional to more modern skate skiing. They also have a fantastic selection of dog-friendly trails. Enjoy gliding through a winter wonderland when you visit!
Winter Off the SlopesWith so many world-class ski resorts in North Lake Tahoe, itâs no wonder that skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling are the most popular winter activities in North Lake Tahoe. However, winter sports arenât for everyone. If youâre traveling with a skier or snowboarder, but arenât interested in hitting the slopes yourself, check out these winter activities off the slopes!
4. SnowfestSnowfest is one of the biggest Tahoe City events of the year â" and doesnât require any athletic ability! This 10-day festival features a variety of different events that benefit local the local North Lake Tahoe community. During this time, locals and visitors alike can attend block parties, parades, fireworks shows, contests, and more!
5. WinterWonderGrass FestivalVibe to groovy tunes with local brews at the WinterWonderGrass Festival! This weekend-long festival features good-for-the-soul music like bluegrass and Americana. This yearâs lineup features more than a dozen talented artists. Thereâs no better pairing than great mountain views and even better tunes! WinterWonderGrass Festival also highlights North Lake Tahoe breweries and other vendors.
Stay With Tahoe Moon Properties
[q4vr-properties pids]Are you ready to enjoy these fantastic winter activities in North Lake Tahoe? The first step is booking a home with Tahoe Moon Properties. Weâve got the best selection of rentals in the region, from small cabins to larger houses. Are you looking for dog-friendly accommodations or a rental with a hot tub? Weâve got both! When you book with Tahoe Moon Properties, youâll enjoy more than just comfortable accommodations in a gorgeous setting. Youâll also have the combined knowledge of our fantastic staff, all of whom are locals. Thereâs no better resource for things to do in North Lake Tahoe than our outstanding employees!
Take a look at our full selection of homes and book today! We look forward to having you.